Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Grade Field Trip: Kinderconcert

I served as a chaperone for the first of two First Grade field trips today. We commuted downtown and watched a production by the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra called Kinderconcert. The performance in total was about 50 minutes long (which is the precise length of time it takes for a seven-year-old boy's patience to run flat out). A narrator described the orchestra, the performers displayed their instruments, and the Maestro led a musical interpretation of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham, complete with a sing-song story telling. It was quite good and the all kids really seemed to enjoy themselves while they were there, though later the boys decided the whole experience was boring.

While we discussed the concert tonight over dinner (and how boring it was), Bub said I reminded him of Squidward on SpongeBob SquarePants. I thought the familiarity resulted from the fact that I sort of knew what was going on at today's performance and explained some to my little charges as the show progressed. Squidward plays a woodwind instrument and led an orchestra once, so surely the connection must have been that -- our similar musical expertise. Apparently, I don't remind Bub of a giant, blue, clarinet-playing squid because of my personal knowledge of music. When I asked why Squidward and I are the same, he answered, "because you're boring." Great.

Five Kids and a Cat

The Bus Ride: The Best Part of the Whole Day

0 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.