Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Big, Deep Breath and ECBs

Midterms are over. Well, I just got them over with. I had until the end of the week to finish up, but I knew I wasn't going to learn anything new between now and then. I cannot completely express just how ready I am for this semester to be over, but in the meantime, post-midterms, I feel like I can take a big, deep breath.

Now, if only I could take that breath without hacking up a lung. I'm finally, finally getting over whatever totally wiped me out last week, but I have this horrible, lingering cough. I've been fever-free for about 72 hours, so if I could just shake this bone-rattling expectorating, I'd be as good as new. Perhaps there's hope for me yet.

To celebrate my being well-ish, I went out coupon shopping today. I took advantage of the 5/$5 cereal deal at Tom Thumb, which by the way, neither requires the coupon or the $10 minimum purchase, apparently. Also, the ad lists only Life, Cheerios, Cap'n Crunch, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch on sale within that special. After some inquiry, I discovered Quaker Oats Squares also worked, which made my cereal free after the discount plus coupons. I also picked up some Soft Soap, free after coupon, and some other things. I thought I was getting some really great deals because I picked up some other on-sale items to purchase with coupons, but I remembered (for the millionth time) when my coupons were being scanned that Tom Thumb only doubles/triples the first coupon of a multiple purchase, so I probably lost about $6-7 in doubled value. Regardless, here's a run down of Tom Thumb for me today:

2 boxes of Pop Tarts Splitz
2 bottles of Soft Soap Hand Wash
5 boxes of Fiber One Granola Bars
2 boxes of Caribou Coffee Bars
2 boxes of Milk and Cereal Bars
2 Snickers Bars
4 pounds of Fresh Strawberries
3 Tangelos
22 boxes of cereal
(Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cap'n Crunch, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Life, and Quaker Oats Squares -- and YES, I will be sharing)
2 cans of Dog Food (because it was free after coupon, but added to my "required" $10 purchase before coupon. I will be giving this away, because I think we all know my position on dogs.)

Total Out of Pocket: $32.97
Total Savings: $67.52

So, my savings today at Tom Thumb was only about 67%, which isn't bad, it's just not the best. Had I not gotten the strawberries (though who could pass them up at $1.88 a pound today when there was snow on the ground yesterday?) and had I realized my coupons weren't all going to double, I wouldn't have gotten so many things, or would have split my order differently. Oh well. That's my lesson for today...

Then, I stopped by Kroger and picked up 12 packages of Nissan Low Fat Ramen, 2 bars of Johnson Buddies kid's soap, and 2 containers of Old Spice Deodorant all for .98 cents total after coupons.

After that, I decided it was time to get back on the CVS ECB bandwagon. I stumbled into ECBs accidentally right after we moved here. Gracie was a baby and I had a $5/$15 mailer. At that time, the CVS brand diapers had ECBs attached, so I bought them and used the ECBs to buy more diapers and more diapers and more diapers. Within a week's time, I think I supplied all the diapers we needed to get her to potty training. After that, though, I let it sort of fizzle out.

Today, I went to CVS to start again. I purchased 2 Gillette Fusion Razors, 2 packages of Mach 3 Razors, a Gillette Venus Razor, 4 Oral-B Cross Action toothbrushes, 2 Colgate Toothbrushes, 4 packages Hershey's Kisses, 2 containers of shave gel, 2 boxes Hershey's Sweet & Sour Bars, 2 Payday Bars, 2 boxes of Puffs with Vicks, and some Juicy Drop Candy (to keep the kids from burning the joint down). After coupons, I spent $46.86 today, and have $57.77 ECBs to spend later. Yay! Now again, I know that's not the very best that could have been done today, but I got the ECB stuff I wanted plus a few more things I had coupons for. The bottom line is that I profited while at the same time preventing my kids from systematically disassembling the toothpaste aisle, and that's an accomplishment all on its own.

4 comments:

  • Britni

    I've only done a few major purchases at CVS, but this week was pretty good. I came home with Swiffer Refills, Glade Candles, Febreeze Candles, Colgate Toothpaste, and some other stuff. I spent about $25 and came out with about $25 in ECBs. I really do like free stuff.

  • Elizabeth

    Savvy shopper you! :-) I'm trying to learn from you, but right now it's a bit overwhelming. I do use coupons when I shop, but I would like to be more intentional about it.

  • taralynn819

    GREAT job on your deals! I'm sure you were more than ready to get out of the stuffy house!!!

    One thing, 22 boxes of cereal?! You go girl! Hubby and I went to Giant last night to get some of their cereal deals, and I paid $.98 each for 4 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios. I would have only paid $.60 for each box but I had only printed 1 $.55 off coupon. Doh!

    I also picked up a box of the new Chocolate Cluster Honey Bunches for $1.50. Not great, but being this was Giant (which is normally super expensive), still a deal. I wish I could have scored your cereal dealio, though! There used to be Tom Thumbs in Minnesota, but I haven't seen any for years and years.

    As for CVS...they were out of SO MUCH STUFF! Some steep competition in my area, I guess! And the cashier even told me that they actually start their weekly sales on SATURDAY, would you believe! No wonder they are out of stuff by Tuesday, like when I went! Unfortunatly, the inserts don't come out till Sunday, but at least I could look around...

    I really wanted the razor, but maybe they'll have more in stock next trip. I did get the Glade whisp, and I love it! I also snagged some Cadbury eggs (our favorite) - Cadbury is THE best chocolate ever! But at this rate I may need to get some more! (Or not!)

    I didn't score the Colgate Total deal because my coupons were for a 4.0oz size, and they had 4.2oz for the sale, so I didn't even try. However, on some CVS boards people are saying their coupons went through, so maybe I will attempt that one again. And return the 3 pack of 7.8oz I went ahead and purchased at BJ's for $6. Not a bad deal either, but I like free much better! :)

    At any rate, this is definitely fun!

  • In His Grip

    OK, I need to know if you think I should join the Game. I was going to join then read your blog and thought maybe not. Now I am confused. Help, please.

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.