Sunday, October 28, 2007

On Grief and Sorrow

_____________________________________

Today is not a day more dismal than any other.
Regardless, these words are The Truth
and are a soothing balm to my aching soul.
_____________________________________

"Laughter can conceal a heavy heart,
but when the laughter ends, the grief remains."
-Proverbs 14:13

"Don’t think I am a wicked woman!
For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow.”
-I Samuel 1:16

"Sorrow is better than laughter,
for sadness has a refining influence on us."
-Ecclesiastes 7:3

"My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief..."
-Romans 9:2

"Job stood up and tore his robe in grief.
Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship."
-Job 1:20

"But my heart is heavy with grief.
Weep for me, for I wither away."
-Isaiah 24:16

"You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book."
-Psalm 56:8

"I weep with sorrow;
encourage me by your word."
-Psalm 119:28

"Don’t tear your clothing in your grief, but tear your hearts instead.
Return to the Lord your God, for he is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love."
-Joel 2:13

"How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?"
-Psalm 13:2

"...You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy."
-John 16:20

"For the Lord has called you back from your grief..."
-Isaiah 54:6

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.
Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
-John 16:33

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain.
All these things are gone forever.”
-Revelation 21:4


_____________________________________

These are various quotes on the topics of grief and sorrow.
I originally included them among the scriptures above,
but while they are very good, they are merely opinions,
and shouldn't be equated with The Truth.
_____________________________________

"Grief is not he opposite of faith.
Mourning is not the opposite of hope.
I believe that well meaning Christians can try to hurry us out of our mourning because we make them uncomfortable. The Bible does not say to cheer up the bereaved, but rather to 'mourn with those who mourn.' Christ does not say we grieve because we are deficient in faith, but rather 'Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted [not rushed].' (Matthew 5:4)."
-Jennifer Saake (Hannah's Hope)

"Sorrow makes us all children again -
destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God's Word never said we were not to grieve our losses.
It says we are not to grieve as those who have no hope
(I Thess. 4:13). Big difference."
-Beth Moore

"She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts."
-George Eliot

1 comments:

  • Amy

    Awww... soothing words. I have never seen all of these scriptures together, but I love them and what they convey. Grief is natural... even though it feels everything but that when you are enduring it. If we knew this before we were in the middle of it, I wonder if it would make a difference in the way that it feels while it is happening.

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.