Friday, November 7, 2008

Unless the Corn has a Face...

Our homeschool Fridays are reserved for "specials," days that we go out and do something fun. We may go do things on other days of the week, but Fridays, for sure, we go somewhere. We may participate in homeschool PE, go to the library, take a nature walk, or visit the park, museum, or zoo.

Today for specials, I decided to surprise the kids with a trip to the movies to see Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. As we loaded in the car, they began guessing where we were going. Bowling, no. Putt-Putt, no. Six Flags, not today. In the midst of the guessing, Gracie recalled that I'd dropped a couple of pieces of Halloween candy into my purse. "We're going to the movies," she exclaimed, quite sure of her deduction.

Since it was a secret, I didn't confirm where we were going, neither did I confirm what we may or may not be seeing. "Well, if we were going to the movies," she said, "I'd be happy with whatever we see."

To that, I asked, "What if we see a two-hour documentary about corn?"

"No, that would be boring," she whined.

"Well," I countered, "you said you would be happy with anything."

"I meant something like Bolt, or Igor or something like that," she said.

"So, though you said anything, what you really meant was you would be happy with any kid movie. You wouldn't be happy with a movie about corn."

"Right," she said, "unless the corn has a face."

There's something to be said for standards.


photo credit: neas

8 comments:

  • In His Grip

    I love this home school story. One of my favs.

  • taralynn819

    Well, I have to say we watched a LOT of movies in school. Forest Gump (you know, social studies class!), Rosewood (history...we saw this one in a theater!), Grapes of Wrath, Streetcar Named Desire, To Kill a Mockingbird (we watched a lot in American Lit), Glory (probably another history sub day - both this and Rosewood rated R!), Shawshank Redemption (pop lit - oh yeah!), the Color Purple (forgot which class)

    And then I have to confess all the dummy movies we watched in band class. Lets put it this way, we got to call our shamelessly cussing director, "Lance", and he let us drink pop and skip class to study for other classes). There was Tommy Boy (no lie, we unknowingly watched half the movie the day of Chris Farley's death and then half the day after - very freaky), Independence Day, Farris Bueller's Day Off, Happy Gilmore, Blues Brothers...and that's all I can remember. I think we played some songs too.

    As you can see, I went to a very public school! (And now after this I'm guessing you'll homeschool yours right up through college!)

  • Anonymous

    I enjoy hearing what little minds come up with! They are thinking, aren't they?

    My parents are coming soon, so I tried to explain to my excited 5-year-old that Grandma and Grandpa would be here around her brother's birthday. She thought we should just change the date and let Grandpa and Grandma know that Bug's birthday was changed to tomorrow! If only that would work... ;)

  • Randi~Dukes and Duchesses

    I love that. And only you would be able to find a picture to go along with it. :)

  • Happy Mommy

    Unless it has a face, that's funny!
    Was the movie any good?

  • Amanda

    The movie was funny. A little questionable at one point, but overall, very good.

  • Karen

    corn with a face....don't kids come up with the greatest stuff!

  • Debbie

    Hi Amanda...thanks for stopping by Blog Around the World. Just wanted to let you know that you are all linked up! Make sure to check in daily to see where in the world we are headed next!

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.