Friday, November 28, 2008

Frugal Friday Linkage: Black Friday Edition



Thanksgiving has come and gone, and it's time for Black Friday! Did you know that Black Friday is called such because it's generally the days stores go from being in the red (or being in debt) to being in the black (making a profit)?

Black Friday is one of my very favorite days of the whole holiday season. Earlier, as I was devising my game plan for shopping, James said he thought I liked Black Friday a little more than I liked Christmas morning, which is just not true. But still, I really, really, really like Black Friday.

Among my friends and family, there is no question that I'll be out among the Christmas shopping crowds on Black Friday looking for my share of bargains. For me, Black Friday is a day where my inner frugal zealot unites with my giving spirit, causing a frequent conflict to subside.

I know that sounds as corny as can be, it's absolutely true. The deals I find on Black Friday have, over time, allowed me, or us as a family, to give gifts through the holiday season that we may not otherwise be able to afford. One year, my basket was equally filled with toys for my children and for children in a family I knew to be in crisis. Other years, the cost savings experienced in buying for our own family on Black Friday afforded us the opportunity to increase our holiday giving to others.

This year, Black Friday seems different -- there's such an air of reservation and trepidation. In my opinion, there doesn't seem to be as many spectacular sales. Some stores have gone bankrupt, while other stores are on their way, and they all seem to be reserved in their offerings. Despite everything, I'm off to enjoy the day. Please enjoy this Frugal Friday linkage, Black Friday style.


Black Friday: It Has to be Big and Bold :: CNNMoney.com

The "Official Site" for 2008 Black Friday Ads :: blackfriday.info

Holidays Can Still Be Happy in Tough Times :: MSNBC.com

Black Belt Shopping Strategies :: Oprah.com

In Shaky Times, Will Stores Honor Gift Cards? :: MSNBC.com

Clever, Low-Cost Holiday Decorating Budget :: RealSimple.com

Teach Your Kids About Money :: Oprah.com

How to Prepare for an Impending Layoff :: MSNBC.com

Best Money Lessons to Teach Your Kids :: CNN Living

Santa on a Budget



How to Save Money on Gifts

3 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.