Thursday, December 13, 2007

Changing Plans

I really detest changing plans. That is unless James brings home dinner or takes us to Hawaii unexpectedly. Changes like that are always ok by me. Today was a day of changing plans, and none of them were so nice. Allow me to complain...

We have plans for the kids to spend the night with my mom tomorrow night, then the next morning, we're all driving to College Station for an early Christmas with James' family. As I was driving home from campus after a day of already disturbed plans, I got a call from the nurse that Gracie had a high fever and needed to be picked up from school. Right now, she's being nursed back to health as we communicate with the pediatrician on whether or not we need to be seen. In the meantime, we're pushing fluids and dosing Motrin and realizing that all of our weekend plans may be cancelled. We're ok with that, but in addition to being sick, Gracie will be particularly disappointed by the plan change. So, she'll be doubly whiny from both sickness and disappointment. Good times.

In between taking temperatures and applying cold cloths, I'm looking into a completely different school in which to transfer and revising my currently replanned Spring Schedule -- the one replanned for Gracie after the original plan didn't line up with her needs. Here's how that happened: Today, I popped into school to have an advisor force add a class I wanted to take. While there, I discovered I was at the maximum number of transfer hours for my degree plan -- where has time gone? My original original plan was to transfer this Spring, but I want access to the scholarship I have access to as a member of the Honor's Society. I can't transfer out at this moment because there won't be any Phi Theta Kappa scholarship dollars again until Fall, therefore I have to stay active where I'm at. The regular student advisor suggested I reduce my six planned classes down to one as to remain active and to essentially take a break this semester.

On that note, I went by the Phi Theta Kappa advisor's office who agreed with that recommendation for schedule reduction and further recommended a transfer to UT Arlington instead of UNT. Evidently, Arlington is far more transfer friendly, and they have more abundant Phi Theta Kappa dollars. Additionally, at UTA, I can stack a Transfer scholarship, a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship, and a Sigma Kappa Delta scholarship, utilizing all the available money at once. At UNT, I cannot stack them and I have to choose which will benefit me more. Clearly, taking advantage of all the free dollars at a school that requires fewer hours to graduate and will accept more transfer hours is the best option (which is all that UT Arlington offers).

All in all, the changes with school are good, but change is still change. All the time I've devoted to planning my educational future ultimately matters little at this point and I'm back to square one, as is the case with most things around here. I'll get it figured out, particularly since I'll apparently have so much free time on my hands. In the meantime, I'm off to care for my sick little girl.

Something I just mentioned on Tuesday:

"You can make many plans,
but the Lord’s purpose will prevail."
Proverbs 19:21 NLT

2 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.