Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Randomness: The Big Bang Theory

Ah, the total randomness that is this blog.

I just wanted to say how much I love The Big Bang Theory on CBS. It is one show I Tivo and make time for. I love the cerebral humor of the physics academics (though I think they refer to themselves as nerds), and I particularly love how crazy Sheldon's brilliance makes him. I even laugh at the goofy science jokes, though they bore James to sleep.

This week's episode, though, was top on my list. Leonard and Sheldon delivered a piece of furniture to their neighbor Penny's apartment and Sheldon was generally disturbed by her slobbishness. He was driven to clean and organize, and his compulsion made me laugh out loud in that way my husband makes fun of. (Guffaw, guffaw, snort!)

A little of the dialogue I'm sure is better seen in person:

Leonard: "Did it ever occur to you that not everyone has the compulsive need to sort, organize, and label the entire world around them?"
Sheldon: "No."
Leonard: "Well, they don't. Hard as it may be for you to believe, most people don't sort breakfast cereal numerically by fiber content."
Sheldon: "Excuse me, but I think we both found that helpful at times."
Leonard: "C'mon, we should go."
Sheldon: "Hang on." (Picking up magazines.)
Leonard: "What are you doing?"
Sheldon: "Picking up."
Leonard: "Sheldon, this is not your home."
Sheldon: "No, this is not anyone's home. It's a swirling vortex of entropy."
Leonard: "You know, when the transvestite lived here, you didn't care how he kept the place."
Sheldon: "Because it was immaculate. I mean, you open that man's closet, it was left to right -- evening gowns, cocktail dresses, then his police uniforms."

Later, Sheldon breaks into Penny's apartment to clean while she sleeps:

Leonard: "Sheldon!"
Sheldon: "Shhh...Penny's sleeping."
Leonard: "Are you insane?! You can't just break into a woman's apartment in the middle of the night and clean!"
Sheldon: "I had no choice. I couldn't sleep knowing that just outside my bedroom was our living room, and just outside our living room was that hallway, and immediately adjacent to that hallway was (sniff, sniff) this."
Leonard: "Do you realize that if Penny wakes up there is no reasonable explanation as to why we're here?"
Sheldon: "I just gave you a reasonable explanation."
Leonard: "No, no -- you gave me an explanation. Its reasonableness will be determined by a jury of your peers."
Sheldon: "Don't be ridiculous (while folding clothes) -- I have no peers."

The argument continues until Sheldon ends by telling Leonard, "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean." I'm just wondering, where is my Sheldon? Seriously, no charges would be pressed against my middle-of-the-night methodizer. Bring on organization while I sleep -- what a dream come true!

3 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.