Saturday, January 17, 2009

Update: Peanut Butter Warning

Evidently, peanut butter from a jar is safe to eat, but peanut butter in everything else -- sandwich crackers, cookies, ice cream -- is not. It's the peanut butter paste in these products that has been linked back to the national salmonella outbreak that "has sickened more than 430 people in 43 states" and killed five people (The Huffington Press, Jan. 15, 2009). Read the current warnings on CNN.com and use caution when picking out snacks.

Consumers Urged to Use Caution Eating Peanut Butter :: CNN.com


photo credit: thehuffingtonpress.com

2 comments:

  • Molly

    My name is Molly Shockley, and I am addicted to peanut butter. There, it's out in the open... WOW! I totally missed that it was the paste not the peanut butter in jars.

    Blake told me this morning but I then replied that we had all eaten from that jar for weeks and no one had been ill. He then told me not to buy anymore then. I informed him that I don't let the jar get half empty before buying more! I always have back up peanut butter...see, I need help! We may run out of flour, eggs, cheese and milk, but never pb!

    So, glad you informed me that I am safe to continue my addiction! Hee, hee!

  • Anonymous

    Wow, I haven't bought those type of crackers in months but wouldn't you know it, the one week we go on vacation and take those as snacks they decide to do a recall. We'e eaten all but one package and haven't gotten ill thank goodness. I guess I'll toss the last one out, just in case...

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.