Monday, May 4, 2009

The Transformation Transpires

Remember Gracie's new bedroom set? Mom came over today to begin the transformation process. My mom is awesome in so many ways, but a couple of the things I really appreciate most about her are (1) she loves doing so many of the things I dislike (sanding furniture, doing the laundry, etc.) and (2) she's not one to come over and wait to be entertained.

My mom lives fairly close to us, but doesn't get to come over as often as she would like. When she does come, she shows up at my house with a pot of homemade soup for my fridge, takes off her shoes, loads the dishwasher, brews a fresh pitcher of tea, switches out the load of laundry, plays a quick game of Uno with the kids and gets dinner started all before heading out for her favorite prime time programs on T.V. She mentioned after church yesterday (before my hospital excursion) that she had free time today if I had projects, and the bedroom set was the first thing that came to mind.

She arrived earlier in the day and got right to work. In no time, she and the kids -- well, Bub -- had the footboard and side rails completely sanded. After a rejuvenating trip to Sonic for Happy Hour, the headboard was completed. The last of it is being primed right now with the spray primer suggested by Tracey at Notes from a Cottage Industry, a step we never anticipated would be so fast or so easy, and a step we can clearly see will shorten the overall refinishing process significantly. She's set up tables in the garage to apply paint through the evening, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have photos of a finished product (minus the coordinating bedding) to show within the next day or two. In the meantime, the progress so far:

8 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.