Friday, August 22, 2008

What I saw on the Caller ID

So this morning, the phone rang. Gracie was in my bedroom watching cartoons and after it rang a time or two, I called to her to answer it. (She's a chatty little girl and just loves that "responsibility.") She picked it up, pressed the Talk button, and heard only silence. She came out to tell me the phone wasn't working (it had been left too long off the charger and the battery went kaput).

While we looked at the phone and talked about how it died, the phone in the game room continued to ring. Our circa-1983 answering machine didn't pick up after the normal four rings, so instead of answering the phone, I went in to examine the answering machine. Still, the phone kept ringing. I am not exaggerating when I tell you it rang probably thirty-five times before Gracie found it buried in her Barbie house. (The game room phone is often mistaken for a toy.)

She answered the phone upstairs, but the line was empty, so she brought the phone downstairs to me. I clicked on the Caller ID button to see who'd been so diligent in trying to reach us, and absolutely got chills when the name popped up: it was the adoption agency I wrote about at 4:00 this morning -- the one James and I simultaneously felt compelled to work with!

Quickly, I called the number, and when the agent answered, she explained that the phones had been routed to her cell phone yesterday. I happened to be the last call she got all day (though I called her very early), and today, as she slid her phone in her pocket, it must have called me back. "While I have you on the phone, though," she continued, "have you thought any more about our agency?" I excitedly told her we had, and relayed the story of our individual leading and mutual agreement.

We talked for a bit, and she patiently answered more of my questions. Then she told me how we could move forward. After our conversation, it's officially official -- we've taken that first baby step. James is faxing over our interest sheet, and the agent is sending out the first part of the application/education process on DVD. At some point, we'll do an intake interview. Since we're not local to the agency, we'll work on our home study privately (which we're already sort of doing), then provided all goes as hoped for, we'll complete the education process in November. After that, the agency will begin presenting our information to birthmoms.

We cannot deny all the blessings, connections, and forms of provision that have come together together without really any challenge to us. Still, it's quite overwhelming to thing about all the things that have already happened, and all the things yet to be done (read: every last little thing that's totally out of my control -- eek!). I have a feeling I'll be spending a good bit in Philippians over these next (many) months.


"Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

-- Philipians 4:6-7 NIV


"Don't fret or worry.
Instead of worrying, pray.
Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers,
letting God know your concerns.
Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness,
everything coming together for good,
will come and settle you down.
It's wonderful what happens
when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."

-- Philipians 4:6-7 MSG
(Same passage, different translation...)





Photo Credit: openclipart.org

13 comments:

  • amy

    Wow. God has big plans for you, Amanda (bigger than making money by blogging ha, ha). I know that He will lead you & guide you on the right path in His timing. I'm so excited when I see what He has brought you through and to see that you have a HOPE for the future again! You are a blessing to me and I pray that God blesses you beyond your wildest dreams!!

  • Katie

    Woo hoo!!! Yaay for a call back, accidental or now!!!! LOL Love how the phone was lost in the toy box. That is great...

  • Michele

    I'm so happy for you and so excited to watch this journey unfold!

  • Randi~Dukes and Duchesses

    I'm so excited for you, Amanda. It's just amazing the way God is working out all these things ... and in such a way that He just wants you to know it's Him. I love it. Goosebumps again.

  • Stacy

    I'm so excited for you (and your whole family). I'm assuming you are looking at domestic? We'll be praying for the right child for you!

  • Amy

    I'm in SA checking blogs at almost 1am - I am amazed at the changes that have occured since we last chatted. God is so good! Let's catch up soon!

  • Elizabeth

    Oh girl - this is GREAT news! I can't wait to hear all about the agency you guys are going with. WOW! You're really doing it! BTW - did you know I tried to induce lactation for breastfeeding Sam? I'll have to tell you about it. I think it's a great idea - go for it!

  • The Zavocki's

    Wow! How exciting! I can see that while I've been wrapped up in the stuff going on in my corner of the world, big things have been happening in your corner! Thanks for sharing the journey you're on.

  • Jenny

    So Cool! God is so faithful to give you little bits of confimation throughout this journey, huh? Can't wait to hear the next chapter...

  • Karen

    I just love to hear these God stories! How cool!!! What agency did you decide to go with? I will be praying for you all through this journey.

  • Emily

    I have been so far detached from blogs lately. There has been a lot to catch up on in your life. I am so excited for you and your family! The baby that you are supposed to raise is going to be so blessed to have you for a mommy. I can't wait to hear all about this journey. I will definitely pray that it goes smoothly.

  • In His Grip

    I am so glad you got that call. Yeah! I pray all goes well.

    Loved the American field trip. We have not been yet and don't have a doll yet either. I hope to go this school year on a field trip.

    Have you started school yet?

  • In His Grip

    I am so glad you got that call. Yeah! I pray all goes well.

    Loved the American field trip. We have not been yet and don't have a doll yet either. I hope to go this school year on a field trip.

    Have you started school yet?

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.