Thursday, April 2, 2009

Babbit the Blue Rabbit Goes to Vegas


Babbit just returned from a lovely few days in "The Entertainment Capital of the World," otherwise known as Las Vegas. In preparation for the impending addition to our family, James and I decided a little getaway was in order. We tossed around a few ideas with regards to travel plans, and after having gone to the beach twice in the last ten months (Florida and Hawaii), we opted for something a bit different.

We thought we'd go to NYC, but after considering all the walking I'd be doing in light of the weekly injections I take to prevent preterm labor, we decided that wasn't a very good idea. Instead, we opted for Vegas where there is so much less walking. *snort* (Note: We did rent a car, but considering that our hotel alone had over 4,000 rooms, a lot of walking was still required.)

The kids stayed with my mom, the dog went to the kennel, and James and I flew out very early on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, on Friday before we left home, the weather changed dramatically and I left Texas with a head cold as a carry-on. I was hopeful the drier, warmer Nevada weather would dry up my congestion, and it might have were it not for the fact that every other human being in the entire state was a walking smoke stack. Needless to say, I carried Kleenex everywhere and ate Benedryl like Lemonheads.

Because of my seasonal/smoke allergy fogginess and the resulting lack of creativity or care, Babbit made it out for only a few candid shots. He saw the Stratosphere, the Eiffel Tower at Paris, Freemont Street, New York/New York, and the Las Vegas Strip at dusk.



At the Luxor, they have on exhibit things pulled from the wreckage of the sunken Titanic. While we didn't go through the exhibit, I did check out the gift shop. There Babbit saw the World's Tackiest Souvenir: a paperweight comprised of a floating Titanic and the iceberg that sunk it. Touching.


I, on the other hand, saw something at the Stratoshere that made me oh-so-thankful to be pregnant and incapable of taking on amusement park rides. See this ride hanging off of the side of the tower? As if the Stratosphere roller coaster perched about a thousand miles in the air isn't bad enough, now you get to pay good money to dangle inches from your perilous death. Were I not pregnant, it might be an inescapable challenge.


Instead of tempting fate, James and I took the time to take naps, see a couple of movies, and check out Trader Joe's in Summerlin. We went to see Carrot Top at the Luxor and the Mac King Comedy Magic Show at Harrah's. We ate breakfast in Paris, shopped on the Miracle Mile, went to the falls at the Wynn, and saw the biggest butterflies in the gardens at the Bellagio. It was a lovely trip, and we had a great time escaping reality together.

8 comments:

  • Christy

    There were a couple of rides up there, one resembling an egg beater that whirled you off the side of the building, the other was one of those death defying drop rides like Superman at Six Flags. I was just drunk enough to consider riding after our impersonator show at the Stratosphere. Fortunately it was our last evening and Lady Luck had already had her way with my wallet. I might be willing to try it the next time we go, whenever that might be.

  • Molly

    I am so confused about Babbit and think there must be a great story behind that, but it was amuzing to think of what you must have looked had I seen you taking those in Vegas.

    So glad you got to get away and so jealous at the same time.

    Thanks for your sweet words about my family and we appreciate your prayers sweet girl!

  • taralynn819

    What a fun Babymoon! I've only made it to Nevada via connecting terminal so it was fun to see your pictures.

    Your kids must be jealous of Babbit for getting to go on vacation without them!

  • Karen

    Glad you had fun! There is a ton of walking in vegas even if you don't leave your hotel.

  • Randi~Dukes and Duchesses

    Sounds like a great trip (minus the tacky souvenir and the death-defying ride). When you told me you had opted for Las Vegas over NYC in order to avoid so much walking, I was a bit puzzled ... but glad you didn't overdo it. Sounds like it was fun and relaxing.

  • Julie

    Awesome trip.
    That rabbit sure is lucky; he gets to see some fabulous places.

  • Jenny

    I would say NYC and Vegas both coincide with lots and lots of walking!
    But, it looks like you had a wonderful time!
    Man, everyone is going on trips... I need to get my hubby on board!

  • Emily

    You know, I think it is about time for Babbit to make a trip to Germany! I know you are stuck for now, but after, I sure do think that he needs to fly across the ocean and visit his cousins :)

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.