Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day, Year Two

Today was the first day of our second year of homeschooling -- a school year we weren't sure would happen. While we initially thought we would reevaluate our decision to homeschool at the end of each school year, we had such a successful year last year that James and I decided on homeschooling the kids until middle school, reevaluating at that time.

About a week and a half ago, though, Gracie decided she wanted to go back to public school. We felt conflicted because all the reasons we decided to homeschool still applied, while Gracie's reasons for returning to public school seemed petty -- buying a new plaid skirt, hanging out with friends, taking her lunch somewhere. (Big things to a seven-year-old, but still.) Her reasons weren't enough to immediately enroll her, still, it was clear she had some need for more, so as a family, we began praying for direction.

Long story short (is that even possible for me?!), after much discussion and consideration, and after plenteous phone calls and e-mails, we were able to miraculously get into a homeschool co-op that several people we know participate in. At the co-op, the kids will take classes based on their interests, they'll have teachers and a place to hang out with friends in a classroom setting, and they'll get the whole school experience while we still get all the advantages of homeschooling. For the kids to participate in the co-op, I'll have to serve -- in the newborn nursery with my own baby. Could it get better than that?

The co-op doesn't open for two more weeks, but we began core classes at home today. The kids enjoyed reviewing topics from last year and looking through this year's 3rd grade texts. Even Brystol was cooperative, waking to nurse at natural breaks in the day. We did have some challenges, but overall, the day went on far better than I could have hoped it would.

Here's hoping for many more days like this one...



The Kidlets


Gracie, Age 7
Bub, Age 8
Brystol, One Month

7 comments:

  • Stacy

    I love that bottom picture of the 3 of them! Glad you had a great 1st day, and so glad you got into a co-op to fill their need. Have a wonderful year :)

  • Randi~Dukes and Duchesses

    So glad the first day went well ... can't wait to see you every Friday at co-op.

  • amy

    I totally thought Gracie was holding a baby doll in the first picture, until I looked closely!! :) Glad all went well... only 179 more days to go, right? ha, ha

  • Emily

    I am so glad this year is working out so well for you and your "students" all ready. That is awesome that you made it into the co-op.

  • Inanna

    Oh yay! :) We're homeschooling this year, so excited - I hate P.S. and while I know the kids will miss it in some ways, it will be so much better in others!

  • Michele

    adorable pics! I'm glad that homeschooling is working out. That is our goal also, although we have some time, LOL...

  • The Pollards

    Hi I connected through your blog from a TAC FAQ webpage and I am really interested in if you had any scares during this last pregnancy? I am currently on my 5th pregnancy. The first two ended in m/c due to blood clotting issues and progesterone issues then my 3rd was an 18 week delivery of our son Adam due to an IC. Then last September we delivered 22 week twin girls Cayla & Marley after a failed TVC and 30 days of hospital stay. Needless to say I sit here today 22w5d pregnant with a TAC and totally convinced that I am in the 5% range of failures with a TAC. My cervix has been measured weekly from the beginning and has never strayed from a 3.9-4.2 range, however the thoughts of my baby girl just slipping by without knowing is driving me crazy. I would love to know all that you know about this and living through it very recently. I hope you don't mind giving me whatever information you know about the TAC and failures, or just your experience. My email address is vanessa@historicalarts.com and I do have a blog that I am more than happy to invite you too if you would like. I await your response whenever you get a moment away from the kiddies. A million thank yous, Vanessa Pollard

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.