Sunday, August 3, 2008

Alive with Christ

Today was a very special day for our family. A little while back, Bub made the decision to become a Christ-follower. At VBS this summer, Gracie followed suit. They took the next step in their walk by following Jesus' example of baptism, and both were baptized today at the lake.

Though the experience of baptism was so beautiful and special, I was reminded from the time we pulled up to the property until we nearly reached home again just how importance our reliance upon the Lord truly is. From the time we arrived, I spent the majority of the evening failing in quite possibly every single way. Except for the very moment they were being baptized, both of my children acted like lunatics, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, brings out the sweet mommy in me. Ahem.

As we made our way to the beach, I told Gracie to stay out of the water, but when I looked up after sweeping sand out of the bandage on my foot, Gracie stood before me absolutely soaked, dripping wet, shrugging like she had no idea what happened to her clothes. More than once I said to one or the other of them, "Get off that kid/that jet ski/that jagged, rocky ledge." While everyone was trying to take in the tender moments of the various baptism experiences, I nearly fell on my face in the water trying to get to my son who was kicking mud on the other people waiting in line (not intentionally, but still). Instead of falling on my face, my bandaged foot landed squarely in the sloggy water, and who knows what kind of bacteria I invited into my bloodstream by way of the hole in my foot. (Needless to say, I came home for a heavy-duty scrub with Hibiclens.)

As I had Bub disassemble a grouping of sticks he'd arranged in a way that could have potentially impaled a passerby, I watched another family embrace one another in quiet celebration. For a moment, I felt a twinge of envy. Not one member of that family was kicking mud on anyone, no one was throwing rocks, no one was trying to pilfer the property owner's jet ski. I thought to myself momentarily, "Why couldn't we be like that, for once?" But then my sand-coated girl ran by squealing with glee and I thought, "Eh, nobody's perfect...

Thank the Lord for His grace*."


Our Ministry Staff: Rob, Brandon, and Eric


Confirming their decision


Introduction


"For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized.
And with him you were raised to new life
because you trusted the mighty power of God,
who raised Christ from the dead.
You were dead because of your sins
and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away.
Then God made you alive with Christ,
for he forgave all our sins.
He canceled the record of the charges against us
and took it away by nailing it to the cross..."

-- Colossians 2:12-14 NLT


New Creatures in Christ Jesus




* "So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good.
The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin.
I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right,
but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate...
And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.
I want to do what is right, but I can’t.
I want to do what is good, but I don’t.
I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway...
Oh, what a miserable person I am!
Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

-- Romans 7:14-15, 18-19, 24-25a NLT

9 comments:

  • Amy

    That is so cool that they were baptized together... and in a lake! Neat!

    Sorry it was a stressful time for you but so glad that you maintained a great perspective in spite of it.

  • Anonymous

    How beautiful!

    Chelsea was baptized in a tank in her school gymnasium wearing a patriotic bikini.How's that for poignant? LOL

  • Elizabeth

    Girl, that's incredible!!! And how great that they were together.

  • Randi~Dukes and Duchesses

    What a neat day - baptized together in the lake. That's beautiful! That perfect-looking family? They're not ... their kids were probably covered in mud later ... you just didn't see it! :)

  • Happy Mommy

    I think that is so beautiful! What an incredible experience to share together!

  • amy

    Yippee! Congratulations. I think it's really cool that they were baptized together - they will never forget today's experience. To God be the glory!

  • Tarasview

    tee hee... I have felt those very same twinges of jealousy as I watch families in our church (my husband is the pastor) with their perfectly well behaved children... while mine are running around like mental institution escapees.

    but you are right, nobody is perfect!

  • Katie

    Congrats on their decision for baptism! Sorry it was stressful, but your kids sound FULL of life. Be thankful for that!!! God was probably chuckling at their enthusiasm the whole time!

  • For The Girls

    Oh I am so excited for you and your kids - what a wonderful experience ... the baptism in the lake that is. And that other part actually lets me know that I am not alone, nor are you in this game called parenting. Praying for your foot too - to heal quickly and completely!

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.