Wednesday, March 19, 2008

WFMW: Reserving Chicken Stock

Around here, we love to cook chicken and lots of it. We grill it, bake it, fry it, roast it, and boil it for soups and stews. When I boil chicken for soup, though, I'm left with way too much stock in the pot. I make hearty soup, and the addition of all the vegetables and pasta make the soup boil over every time. To prevent cooking over, I dish out a few cups of chicken stock. Thus far, however, I've had no way to preserve the leftover stock, so I've just had to pour it down the sink. I hate doing that, particularly since I like to use chicken stock to flavor other things (like rice), and I inevitably end up opening a can.


Last week, it dawned on me. ICE CUBE TRAYS!



Instead of pouring already made soup stock down the drain, let the reserved portion cool, transfer to ice cube trays, and freeze for future use. Your stock will be portioned, and depending on how you plan to use them, you can use the cubes from frozen or thaw them out. For even better ideas than this one (like this one), visit the Works for Me Wednesday link at Rocks in my Dryer. Thank you ever so much, and have a great day!

3 comments:

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.