Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WFMW: Frugal Tip for Eating Out

It's Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer, and I thought I'd post a frugal tip for restaurant dining. One area where we struggle to remain true to our frugal ways is in the area of eating out. We love dining in restaurants, and me probably more than James. It kills me when kids meals cost more than a whole-family meal prepared at home, but every once in a while, eating out is something we feel we just have to do. There you go -- the secret's out.

We do, however, eat out in a frugal-ish way with the help of The Entertainment Book. When we plan to eat out, we choose a type of food we want, and then scour the book for local restaurants at half price. (Most of the restaurant coupons are for buy-one-get-one-free entrees.) One Sunday after church, we ate at a restaurant we'd been dying to try, and for both of us to eat and to bring home another complete meal of leftovers cost $14.00 plus tip. Not too bad at all...

In addition to restaurant coupons, there are coupons for various forms of entertainment (movies, theme parks, putt-putt golf, festivals, etc.), for travel, for auto repair, for hair styling, for groceries, and more. You can generally look at your local book before buying it, and they can generally be found in grocery stores, drugstores, or bookstores like Barnes and Noble.

As for us, we picked up a 2008 book before Christmas with a coupon (yes, I used a coupon to buy a coupon book), and though it still cost $20.00 even with that discount, that amount of money and more was saved within the first week of Entertainment Book ownership. (Our daughter's ballet school had a coupon for 50% of one month's tuition, so we saved $25 immediately.) Because we've used the book so much already and it's only February, I picked up a second copy two weeks ago at Barnes and Noble where it is now being sold at half-price. (Part of me wonders if I should get a third... we'll see.) The current special on the Entertainment Book website is $10.00 off retail PLUS a $25.00 restaurant gift certificate.

Whether you eat out often or hardly at all, this book will certainly keep your entertainment budget in check. For more maybe even better tips, check out the Works for Me Wednesday list at Rocks in My Dryer.

6 comments:

  • Someone Being Me

    Good tip. We love to eat out. I need to cut back on that now that we are going to 1 income. It is going to be a big adjustment.

  • Daiquiri

    This is a good tip...reminded me that we bought one of these books when my son was selling them for school. Now, where is the darn thing?!

    I wanted to ask you...where did you find your 3 page Blogger template? I've been looking for a good one...

    Daiquiri

  • Heart of Wisdom

    I have been wondering about this book. I guess I'll have to break down and get one.
    Thanks,
    You have been tagged for the "What’s On Your Refrigerator?" meme. It is a Meme and a contest! I'll be giving away two free books. Read all about it at http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

  • Amanda

    Daquiri--

    There are some free three-column templates out there, but I didn't like any of them either. You can find those easy-to-download options all over the WWW using a search engine. My three-column template, however, is a modified Blogger template.

    When I couldn't find anything to download, I searched for modification instructions, and there are lots of them out there for nearly all the styles of standard templates on Blogger. I'm not extraordinarily computer literate, but the process of rewriting the HTML code is actually very easy to do (just make sure you back up -- save -- your original code before you change anything, or you could lose your WHOLE BLOG).

    To do what I did, you can Google "Blogger Three Column" for a variety of instructions, but I followed one like this, though I modified the width a bit further in my main text, sidebars, header and footer. I just brought my header box in about 6pts so it correctly encased the new header I just installed.

  • The Roaming Southerner

    Great tip, thanks for sharing.

  • Emily

    Wowzers! I need to head to Barnes and Noble ASAP. This could be really helpful.

All content © Mandigirl, 2007-2013.